Sunday, May 4, 2008

What's that song about?

One of my favorite musical artists is Enya. She is an astonishing talent: a lovely vocalist and amazing muscian (she composes and plays all the instruments on her albums).

She sings in English, Gaelic and sometimes Latin.

When I hear one of her songs in a language I don't understand, I usually imagine I have a sense of what she is singing about ... with mixed success. There was one, entitled Smaoinim that I pretty well pegged as being about someone dying. Another one, called Ebudae, I thought was a song about going into battle, but instead it was about washing clothes. Eh, win some, you lose some.

Muzak is like hearing a song in a foreign language, except the words have been replaced by notes played on a musical instrument.

Now, have you ever noticed how many truly good people aren't affiliated with any religious faith? Some of them are atheists.

It is my belief that such people "hear" the music but not the words. They're listening to heavenly Muzak. And I think the tune they're hearing is beautiful enough to affect their whole outlook on life.

But they're missing the words. To a certain extent we all do ... so we make up some to fill in the gaps. So while it's nice to have so many music lovers, I do think we often have too many people just humming or possibly thinking about fighting when they should be more concerned with the wash. (If you've read some of my other posts, you'll see I'm consistently guilty of this.)

To get the words right, you really need to get in touch with the Composer. Of course, before you do that, you have to acknowledge that there is one.

No comments: