Sunday, November 18, 2007

Team Allegiance

Auburn (7-4) plays Alabama (6-5) this week. Winning this year's game will go a long way toward salvaging disappointing football seasons. I know I will feel a thousand percent better about the losses if the Tigers notch the victory against the Crimson Tide.

About a week ago, Auburn did lose their second biggest rivalry game to Georgia, by a score of 45-20. It was twice in a row that my alma mater has been embarrassed by the Bulldogs. But that's football ... and there's always next year.

Last night, I was watching a movie called Facing the Giants. It was purely a Christian message movie, enscounced in the tale of an underdog high school football team determining to play and live for God's glory. It was highly predictable in it's unlikely outcome, poorly acted, smaltzy, and obviously low-budget. (You could tell it was low budget because the southern accents weren't fake.)

I loved it.

Georgia's heach coach, Mark Richt, had what amounted to a bit more than a cameo role in the film playing himself. Prior to the big game where "our" team --- the Eagles --- meets the Giants, Richt tells the Eagles coach, "You won the big one when you accepted Christ."

You don't generally expect big-time college coaches to make such an unequivocal statement of faith.

The loss to Georgia was put in a whole new perspective. It turns out that Mark Richt is a coach for my team after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meh, could be woise.

You could be a UAB alum, like me. Oddly, living in Houston I get to see the Blazers play about every other year, either Rice or U. of Houston.

This year, UH went to Birmin'ham and destroyed my team. I still have the polo shirts, windbreaker, replica helmet, etc., emblazoned with the "Dragon" logo, but I doubt with the U. of Alabama Trustees overseeing everything, UAB will ever be much to reckon with.

Anonymous said...

BTW, we seem to have very similar political views, although my living in Houston makes that a lot easier than your living in New England, I'll wager.

At least you have the Patriots. (Although I guess I should mention our Dynamo beat your Revs today for the MLS championship, if you're into that kind of thing).

Capertree said...

I can see how you'd think I live in New England because of the New Hampshire picture ... but I just happen to like New Hampshire's state slogan. Actually live in the Tampa Bay area --- Buccaneers, plus the Univesity of South Florida has started to come on pretty well this year, even beating Auburn (that left me with some mixed emotions.)

Anonymous said...

Ah. Well, my family (Lainie's family, as it happens) live northeast of Orlando. My father-in-law lives in Largo. We'll be heading down your way for Christmas this year.

Oh, and good luck to the Bucs. We play you guys later this season, having already destroyed two of your division rivals, Carolina and the Saints, but inexplicably dropping a stoopid one to the Falcons.

See ya'll then.